Friday, May 14, 2010

I have started a bird sanctuary in my backyard but now the squirrels have discovered my feeders....?

the little fuzzy tailed rats leave little or nothing for the birds plus they chew holes in my seed storage bins. any help you can give will be deeply appreciated.I have started a bird sanctuary in my backyard but now the squirrels have discovered my feeders....?
We buy bullets without any powder (or whatever is used in them). We shoot the little buggers. (We have pecan trees in our back yard and the little buggers bite into them just enough to ruin them). The cats next door enjoy eating their brains.I have started a bird sanctuary in my backyard but now the squirrels have discovered my feeders....?
Put feeders on the tops of poles away from trees so the squirrels can't climb to get to them. Keep the seed in metal containers with tops that can't be opened by squirrels.
There are a variety of products sold for squirrel deterrence. Put the feeders on poles and put a ';squirrel guard'; on the pole...it is like an inverted dish that makes it hard for them to climb the pole. Metal trash cans with lids for seed storage.





Also consider putting up some squirrel feeders on the trees...if you make it a hassle for them to eat the bird food AND provide them with their own food supply problem solved...and you'll have more friends to entertain you in your yard.
There is no way to completely stop these tree rats but squirrel proof bird feeders do a good job. They sell them at Home Depot
put your bird feeders on poles away from anything a squirrel can jump from. if the squirrels decide to climb up the pole, put vaseline on it. sounds silly, but it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment