Friday, January 15, 2010

Squirrels and barking and pulling?

My cocker spaniel loves to bark at squirrels when he sees them through window or on deck. If he sees one during our walk he pulls hard on leash (which is bad). Any suggestions? There are ALOT of squirrels around. I can't get him to stop barking or pulling. I try having him sit/stay on walk.Squirrels and barking and pulling?
You need to have whats called a sound deversion while he is in the house. And if he sees one outside while on a walk, turn and walk him in a different direction and give him a treat. It like a 2 yr old...outa sight out mind, eventually he will find squirrels boring and leave them alone!Squirrels and barking and pulling?
Honestly, I'm having this same issue. They're running around all over the place now, and my young Aussie loses her marbles when she sees one. No correction seems to work, she's completely over the top obsessed. The only thing I've been having ANY success with is simply forcing her to go the opposite way. And trust me, it isn't simple, or pretty, it's a battle until that squirrel is gone. I'm grateful I don't have problems with her going crazy if she sees one outside. If she's going nutters over one in the house, try your hardest to remove her from the situation. Make sure you have the YUMMIEST treats EVER, only to be used when she's squirrel focused. Tempt her away from the window. I'm sure she won't come if you call her if she's as over the top as my Aussie is, so you'll probably have to put the treat pretty much on top of her nose until she turns to walk away with you. See if you can't get her away from the window, and in a sit. Best of luck. I'm starring to see other answers because I can certainly learn from this myself.
PUSH HIM IN THERE BACK LEG WHEN HE STARTS BARKING AND SAY NO. IT WILL STOP HIM FAST. TRUST ME

No comments:

Post a Comment