Saturday, January 23, 2010

Dog obsessed with squirrels?

I can't take my dog outside w/o a leash anymore, not even to the backyard, because if she sees a squirrel she goes running and won't come back when she is called. Any suggestions on how to help control this behaviour?Dog obsessed with squirrels?
The breed of dog you have is mostly to blame. A cattle dog is a herding dog (I have a Sheltie, another herding dog.) and they are infamous for chasing and trying to wrangle any other animal in view.





My dog actually has a similar problem with squirrels. She's pretty well-trained and comes inside when I call her, but when she spots a squirrel, there's no way I can get her back in until she's ready -- unless I go out back and get her on the leash and bring her in myself.





It's not really a problem, though. I think it's pretty cute. Just keep your pup on the leash -- problem solved.Dog obsessed with squirrels?
Some dogs just have a high prey drive, my labX is the same way. My lab has an even higher drive for food though, so when I have her off leash (on the off leash trails around here) I always have treats with me, if she spots a squirrel and wants to chase it I call her to me and give her a treat. This seems to work for us. Hope you find something that works for your dog too.
If your backyard is fenced in, then there really is no harm in letting the dog chase the squirrel, its great exercise and a very natural behavior! My dog has been chasing squirrels all his life and has probably caught 2--he loves the chase! Anyway, if your dog doesnt come when she's called, because she sees a squirrel or what have you, she probably should be on a leash whenever she's not in an enclosed area, its unsafe otherwise. Good luck!
omg my dog has the same problem! shes a boxer. she hates squirrels, she goes running to wherever they are and chases them. we usually just yell at her and hold her back saying ';noo, bad dog'; and she wont do it. if we say the word squirrel, she knows what were saying and runs into the backyard looking for them.
Put the dog on a leash. You CANNOT control this behavior.
Our lab mix does this, he hears the word squirrel and he's off looking for one... until we fenced in the yard, we took him out on a leash only, so he wouldnt run.
Some dogs simply cannot abide squirrels. I have resorted to shooting the rodents out of the tree so he could eat them . He loved it.
We had a dog years ago who went crazy over squirrels. Depends on the breed, she was part poodle. They were bred to catch mice and small animals, it their nature.
You can't..its a natural instinct. Don't worry....your dog will probably never catch one. And squirrels are notorious for teasing dogs. We have one in our yard that will run around a tree for ever just so the dog will follow. They will do it just above where the dog could jump. Its hysterical to watch.
You need to teach your dog the command ';Leave it';.





Take him on a leach outside on a walk, and when he gets distracted (by a squirrel or anything else) tell him ';Leave it'; and give a tug on the leash.





You can also install an invisible fence, or a regular fence so that the dog can't leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment