Thursday, January 21, 2010

What are squirrels' favorite nuts.?

I'm sure most answerers will have to guess, but this is a serious question. I want to buy some nuts to put out for the squirrels, I've discovered thus far that they like peanuts and they don't like walnuts.





I'd like to get the their favorite nuts or favorite food.





Thanks to all serious answerers!What are squirrels' favorite nuts.?
Neat question and I applaud your feeding the squirrels.





Peanuts, in shells, are probably their favorites. And of course they go after acorns on their own.





I have a theory that if they don't have, for example, an almond tree around, they won't know what an almond is so they won't go after the nut. If I introduce an odd nut to the squirrels I feed, they won't go after it, like Brazil nuts.





The ones they do like (in my neighborhood, anyway):





Peanuts


Chestnuts


Walnuts





Also:





Unsalted, raw sunflower seeds (not a nut, but they like them!)





Corn (dry or fresh on the cob--cut the cob into 2'; chunks and they'll carry it up onto a branch and eat it)





Dried fruit--some birdseed mixes come with chunks of dried fruit and they LOVE that





Of course the nuts are all in their shells and DO NOT HAVE


SALT!!! Salted foods are very bad for animals.





In the winter time (if you live in a cold area) you can put out those suet blocks which birds and squirrels love.





Hope this helps! Make sure you can watch or film the little rascals as they eat the feast you've provided. Better than most TV shows!





Bless you for feeding the animals.





I'm also another squirrel nutWhat are squirrels' favorite nuts.?
Deez Nutz?





Ehm, I would say sunflower seeds mostly. Those seem to be Squirrels and birds favorites.
Only if they are unsalted(peanuts). To much salt is not good for the squirrel, it increases their heart rate. This in turn, can contribute to an early death.


Also check the link below:


http://www.squirrels.org/faq.html#Q30


http://www.kokomo.k12.in.us/boulevard/sq鈥?/a>











Oh here is ur answer


http://www.nuts4u.com/
Acorns
Pecans and acorns
Pecans in their shell. They need to have their shells on because it helps their teeth. It helps keep them filed down. They also like corn, sunflower seeds, apples, acorns, peanuts in the shell, No salt. Pumpkin seeds, watermelon seeds, etc. You can buy a squirrel per-mix in the bag at walmart, lowes, depot, kmart, any feed store. Hope this helps? Good luck because I love feeding them to.
Anyones without shells, smile.
The Walnuts were probably too hard for them to get open. Squirrels really like pecans and almonds, but they are prohibitively expensive. My mother used to get the big bags of pecans in Louisiana that were unfit for human consumption and give it to them - that was cheap but difficult to come by.


I think they will still like it if you just give them peanuts or the squirrel mix with corn, sunflower seeds and peanuts.





I bought a big bag of deer corn (sold so hunters don't actually have to 'hunt' because they bait the area) and that is what I put in my squirrel feeder.


It's really cute...not that you asked I know. It's shaped like a dog head and they have to get the corn out of the mouth. :^)
salty nuts
When we have orphaned squirrels at our shelter, we feed them acorns and unsalted peanuts.
  • this works
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment