Monday, December 28, 2009

Any help with fly squirrels?

I have two flying squirrels. 1 boy and 1 girl. My boy is ok with me. He likes to lick honey of my finger. But I have problems bonding with him. He will not sleep in his bonding pouch. I put a leash on him but he went crazy. I've had him for about 3 weeks and I want to know how to bond with him better. Any help?Any help with fly squirrels?
First off do you have flying squirells or lesser flying phalangers. There is a big difference. I am going to assume you have the lesser flying phalangers since they are the ones you use a bonding pouch for. They are marsupials and flying squirells are rodents. Anyhow you need to do things slowly. You should not try to leash them until they are bonded to you otherwise you will freak them out. Honey is good for training and you said you've started that. Step one get him to eat off your finger, step two get him to walk into your hand on his own. Step three take him out to play. When out to play always scoop them not grab them. Keep treats handy and reward calm affectionate play. When useing a bonding pouch make sure it's near your heart so they can hear your heart beat also put something with your scent in with them. Always work with both together. They feed of eachothers confidence. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment